Building Bayswater Online Forum
On Saturday 10 February we hosted a Building Bayswater online forum.
We had 72 participants from across the City discussing a range of topics, themes and ideas that arose in the broader engagement.
Some of the comments and advice that were put forward for the panel to consider include (verbatim):
- The Council needs to encourage quality design, as this can have a massive impact on how a community interacts and feels.
- Developments need to have appropriate parking and green spaces for the amount of occupants.
- Good Design Guidelines Including multi-storey being set back in upper storeys, underground parking that enables gardens over the top, balconies, sound proofing, double glazing.
- Plan for population growth by looking into focused development. Develop rules that manages this development in an environmentally and socially sensitive manner and keep consulting the residents for future developments.
- Plan and design for future generations not just the current residents. Also for those who want to 'age in place' i.e. stay in the suburb that is their home but move to smaller, manageable places that are convenient to shops and transport rather than having to move out of the suburb they've lived in for years. Also plan for the environment and community.
- My advice would be to not let the Developers have a free hand and change this area to back to back buildings with no open space left. City of Bayswater's appeal is the many Parks, rivers and playing areas and hopefully retain its character.
Thanks to everyone who participated! If you want to know more about the Building Bayswater process then please check out the Building Bayswater video.